Cook a 2cm-thick piece of steak for 2-3 minutes each side for rare, 4 minutes each side for medium, and 5-6 minutes each side for well-done. Turn the steak only once, otherwise it will dry out. Always use tongs to handle steak as they won’t pierce the meat, allowing the juices to escape.
How long do you cook a steak if you want it medium?
If you like your steak medium
The internal temperature for a medium steak should be around 140 degrees. This takes about 10 minutes of cooking on each side for a 1-inch thick steak. As with a medium-rare steak, let it rest for about 10 minutes before serving.
Do you cook steak on high or medium?
You might want to cook your steak to medium rare at least. Rare tends to be difficult to chew. The hotter the pan, the steeper the temperature gradient between the surface and center.
How do you cook steak in a frying pan?
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil. Season steak with salt and pepper on both sides. When oil is just about to smoke, add steak. Cook 7 minutes, then flip and add butter. …
- Remove from pan and let rest 5 minutes before cutting.
How long do you cook a steak on each side for medium?
As a rule of thumb (for a steak 22mm thick) – cook 2 minutes each side for rare, 3-4 mins each side for medium-rare and 4-6 mins each side for medium. For well done, cook for 2-4 minutes each side, then turn the heat down and cook for another 4-6 minutes.
How do I know when my steak is done?
How to Check Your Steak’s Temperature Without a Thermometer
- Raw. Feel the palm of your hand, just below your thumb. …
- Rare. Now bring your thumb to your pointer finger, and touch that same part of your palm again. …
- Medium-Rare. Touch your thumb to your middle finger. …
- Medium. Move your thumb to your ring finger. …
- Well-Done. Now touch your thumb to your pinky.
Is it better to fry or bake a steak?
As opposed to finishing the steaks on the stove top, transferring them to the oven stops the searing at the ideal point, allowing the interior of the steak to continue cooking without burning the exterior. Depending on the thickness of your steaks, they should take no more than 7 minutes for medium-rare doneness.
Why would you put butter on steak?
Why do people put butter on steak? Adding butter to steak adds extra richness and can also soften the charred exterior, making a steak more tender. But a good Steak Butter should complement the flavor of a steak, not mask it.
How do you properly cook a steak?
HOW TO COOK THE PERFECT STEAK
- Rub the steak all over with a good lug of olive oil and a good pinch of sea salt and black pepper.
- Add the steak to a hot pan, then cook for 6 minutes for medium-rare, or to your liking, turning every minute.
- For more flavour, try one or a combination of the following…
How can I make my steak juicy and tender?
8 Simple Ways to Make Tough Meat Tender
- Physically tenderize the meat. For tough cuts like chuck steak, a meat mallet can be a surprisingly effective way to break down those tough muscle fibers. …
- Use a marinade. …
- Don’t forget the salt. …
- Let it come up to room temperature. …
- Cook it low-and-slow. …
- Hit the right internal temperature. …
- Rest your meat. …
- Slice against the grain.
How does Gordon Ramsay cook fillet steak?
To cook your steaks, heat a frying pan – to a moderate heat for fillet, hot for T-bone or very hot for rib-eye. Add a swirl of oil, with a whole garlic clove and a herb sprig. Season the steaks with salt and pepper and cook for 1½-2½ mins on each side.
How long should you cook a steak?
Flip the steaks when they release easily and the bottom is a deep-brown color, about 3 minutes. Continue to cook the steaks for another 3 to 4 minutes on the second side for rare to medium-rare. (For medium, cook 4 to 5 minutes on second side; for well-done, cook 5 to 6 minutes on second side).
How do you cook a 1/2 inch steak?
Place the steaks on the grill and cook until golden brown and slightly charred, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn the steaks over and continue to grill 3 to 5 minutes for medium-rare (an internal temperature of 135 degrees F), 5 to 7 minutes for medium (140 degrees F) or 8 to 10 minutes for medium-well (150 degrees F).
How do I cook a 2 inch steak?
For the perfect medium-rare steak, broil in the oven for 19-21 minutes for a 2-inch steak, turning about 1 minute before the halfway point. A meat thermometer should read 130°F. Rest your steaks for 5 minutes before serving, covering lightly with foil.
How long do you cook a 2 inch steak?
SIRLOIN STRIP STEAKS, RIBEYE STEAKS & PORTERHOUSE STEAKS
|Thickness||Rare 110 to 120 F||Medium 130 to 140 F|
|1.25″||4.5 minutes EACH SIDE||6.5 minutes EACH SIDE|
|1.5″||5 minutes EACH SIDE||7 minutes EACH SIDE|
|1.75″||5.5 minutes EACH SIDE||7.5 minutes EACH SIDE|
|2″||6 minutes EACH SIDE||8 minutes EACH SIDE|