IF USING A GRILL: Heat a gas grill to high or heat coals in a charcoal grill until they glow bright orange and ash over. Brush the burgers with the oil. Grill the burgers until golden brown and slightly charred on the first side, about 3 minutes for beef and 5 minutes for turkey. Flip over the burgers.
How long should Burgers be on the grill?
In general, follow these total grilling times:
- For rare burgers, cook for 4 minutes total (125°F)
- For medium-rare burgers, cook for 5 minutes total (135°F)
- For medium burgers, cook for 6 to 7 minutes total (145°F)
- For well-done burgers, cook for 8 to 9 minutes total (160 °F)
How do you know when to flip a burger?
You’ll know to flip the patties when you see liquid pooling on the uncooked surface. Be careful not to char the meat or press down on the patties with a spatula while cooking, you’ll squeeze out all those flavorful juices.
How do you grill burgers on a propane grill?
- Divide ground beef into 4 (½-pound) or 6 (1/3-pound) portions. …
- Heat the grill to high (gas or charcoal); 375-400 degrees F. Brush and oil the grill. …
- Flip and cook an additional 2-3 minutes for rare, 4-5 for medium-rare or 6-7 for medium doneness as measured with an Instant Read thermometer.
How do you grill a medium well burger?
Medium: Cook patty on one side for three minutes. Turn it over and cook for an additional five minutes. Medium well: Cook patty on one side for three minutes. Turn it over and cook for an additional six minutes.
Do you close the grill when cooking burgers?
If you’re grilling quick-cooking foods such as burgers, thin steaks, chops, fish, shrimp, or sliced vegetables directly over the flames, you can leave the grill open. … But when you grill thicker steaks, bone-in chicken, or whole roasts you’ll want the lid down, especially when you’re cooking with indirect heat.
What is the secret to juicy hamburgers?
Here are the chef’s tips to turning out the ultimate, show-stopping burger:
- Use 80/20 ground chuck.
- Make a thumbprint in the middle of the patty.
- Season with salt and pepper ONLY.
- Use canola oil, cast iron and high heat.
- Flip once.
- Get the temperature just right.
- Don’t be afraid to mix cheeses.
- Use a squishy bun.
Why put a thumbprint in a burger?
To ensure that the meat cooks evenly, make a thumbprint indentation into each patty before it goes on the grill. The indentation helps the patty hold its shape—rather than swelling—as it shrinks during cooking.
How many minutes do you cook a burger on each side?
For medium burgers, cook the patty on one side for three minutes and the other side for five minutes. When you prefer your burger to be done medium-well, cook the patty on one side for three minutes and the other for six minutes.
How long do you grill hamburgers on a propane grill?
Grill the burgers until golden brown and slightly charred on the first side, about 3 minutes for beef and 5 minutes for turkey.
What temperature do you cook hamburgers on a propane grill?
Start by warming your grill to high heat, about 450 degrees, or until you can hold your hand over the grate for up to one second. This is important because the high heat will create a warm cooking zone for your patty and will allow the patty to sizzle to perfection.
How long do you cook a hot dog on the grill?
- Turn on your grill.You want one side of your grill to be more hot and one more cool. …
- Cook the hot dogs on the cooler side of the grill so that they can heat through without burning on the outside. …
- Cook one minute on each side.
- Move the hot dogs to the hot side of the grill. …
Is it safe to eat medium-rare burgers?
According to the food code, ground beef should be cooked at 155 degrees F internally and held there for 15 seconds, or 158 degrees for even a moment, in order to kill pathogens at the center of the meat. Unlike a rare steak, a rare burger is risky because the germs from the outside of the meat have been ground inside.
How long should I cook a burger?
Bake your burgers.
Place the patties onto the cooling rack and bake for about 15 minutes. Use a meat thermometer to check for doneness. I like to cook my burgers to about 155˚F – 160˚F for medium. They burgers will continue to cook a little when you take them out of the oven.
How do you tell if a burger is medium well?
140°F is medium, 150°F is medium-well, and over 160°F is well done. The FDA recommends cooking all ground beef to 160°F, though we don’t suggest cooking it much above that, or it will become dry and not very tasty.